Fire Extinguisher Inspections in Houston
No matter what type of business you own in the Houston area, fire extinguishers are your first line of defense in a fire emergency. Your quick response is often enough to douse a small fire, saving lives and preventing significant property damage in the process.
Are you sure your fire extinguishers are up to the task? If you can’t remember the last time your fire extinguishers were inspected by a professional, it’s time to schedule a visit from Kauffman Co. Our years of experience in the fire protection industry make us highly qualified to bring your fire extinguishers back up to code.
To schedule a fire extinguisher inspection in Houston, please call Kauffman Co. today at (713) 893-1090.
Why Are Fire Extinguisher Inspections Important?
It’s common practice for Houston business owners to purchase fire extinguishers and mount them to the wall—and then never give them a second thought. Installing fire extinguishers in accordance with local and national fire codes is an important first step, but it’s certainly not the last.
The National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) requires annual fire extinguisher inspections from a qualified professional. You should also maintain your extinguishers monthly to address problems as they arise. A designated staff member can complete basic maintenance; no special training is required.
Here’s why fire extinguisher inspections are so important:
- A depressurized fire extinguisher may not function when you need it.
- Improper labeling could result in improper use of the extinguisher.
- A damaged fire extinguisher may malfunction when you attempt to use it.
- A missing locking pin could mean the extinguisher has been tampered with.
- Skipping annual inspections could put you in violation of fire codes, which could result in fines.
services from Kauffman
What to Expect from a Fire Extinguisher Inspection
Assign a staff member the task of inspecting your fire extinguishers monthly. This task requires only a few simple steps:
- Keep wall-mounted extinguishers unobstructed.
- Making sure each canister appears undamaged.
- Read the pressure gauge.
- Ensure the operating instructions are legible and facing outward.
- Initial and date the tag to show a monthly inspection has been performed.
These basic steps are enough to get you by for about a year. Once 12 months have passed, it’s time to schedule a professional fire extinguisher inspection. Here are the steps a Kauffman Co. technician takes when inspecting your extinguishers:
- We verify proper placement. In general, fire extinguishers are required within 75 feet of travel from any location in the building. Commercial kitchens should have a Class K fire extinguisher within 30 feet of the cooking equipment.
- We ensure your fire extinguishers aren’t obstructed by furniture or other objects for easy access in an emergency situation.
- We inspect the fire extinguishers for damage. Broken hoses or nozzles, wobbly or damaged handles, missing locking pins, broken anti-tamper seals, and illegible labeling all catch our attention. In addition to correcting these problems, we also ensure the canister is properly pressurized to ensure functionality if a fire breaks out.
- We record the date of the inspection on the tag to help you keep track of when it’s time to schedule your next annual fire extinguisher inspection.
Schedule Portable Fire Extinguisher Inspections in Houston
Is your business located in Houston or the Greater Gulf Coast area? Are you unsure whether your fire extinguishers are up to code – or if they even work at all? If so, contact Kauffman Co. online or call us at (713) 893-1090 today to schedule a fire extinguisher inspection. We can help you get back on a consistent inspection schedule so you’re always protected in the event of a fire emergency.
Frequently Asked Questions
Do you have to get a fire extinguisher inspected?
Yes. Fire extinguishers must be inspected according to OSHA, NFPA, and local standards in order to be considered valid. Failure to inspect extinguishers can result in fines when your business is found to be non-compliant – not to mention the time your business spends open to the risks of an uncontrolled fire.
Where do I get fire extinguishers inspected?
Fire extinguishers should be inspected annually by an experienced and certified fire protection company. When you connect with a team like Kauffman, we will come to you, perform all necessary inspections, and then provide reports for your records.
How often should a fire extinguisher be inspected?
Extinguisher inspection isn’t a one-and-done deal; it extends to a variety of inspections needed throughout the life span of your extinguisher. Your own in-house team members should be checking extinguishers on a monthly basis. Annual inspections must be performed by a certified fire protection company.
Water, CO2, and wet chemical extinguishers require hydrostatic cylinder testing every five years—the same service is needed only every 12 years for dry chemical extinguishers.
How long do fire extinguishers last?
The average life span of a fire extinguisher carries a fairly wide margin of between five to 15 years. Location, frequency of use, handling, and other factors can make your extinguisher last longer or shorten its life considerably. This is part of why routine inspections are so important—it can be very difficult to tell whether your extinguishers are still good at a glance.
Alvin | Angleton | Austin | Baytown
| Beaumont | Bellaire |
Clute | Conroe
| Deer Park | Dickinson | Freeport
Friendswood | Galena Park
| Galveston | Houston | Humble