/ Fire Extinguisher Inspection
Fire Extinguisher Inspection
No matter what type of business you own in the Houston area, fire extinguishers are your first line of defense in a fire emergency. Your quick response is often enough to douse a small fire, saving lives and preventing significant property damage in the process.
Are you sure your fire extinguishers are up to the task? If you can’t remember the last time your fire extinguishers were inspected by a professional, it’s time to schedule a visit from Kauffman Co. Our years of experience in the fire protection industry make us highly qualified to bring your fire extinguishers back up to code.
To schedule a fire extinguisher inspection in Houston, please call Kauffman Co. today at 713-893-1090.
Why are Fire Extinguisher Inspections Important?
It’s common practice for Houston business owners to purchase fire extinguishers and mount them to the wall – and then never give them a second thought. Installing fire extinguishers in accordance with local and national fire codes is an important first step, but it’s certainly not the last.
The National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) requires annual fire extinguisher inspections from a qualified professional. You should also maintain your extinguishers monthly to address problems as they arise. A designated staff member can complete basic maintenance; no special training is required.
Here’s why fire extinguisher inspections are so important:
- A depressurized fire extinguisher may not function when you need it.
- Improper labeling could result in improper use of the extinguisher.
- A damaged fire extinguisher may malfunction when you attempt to use it.
- A missing locking pin could mean the extinguisher has been tampered with.
- Skipping annual inspections could put you in violation of fire codes, which could result in fines.
What to Expect from a Fire Extinguisher Inspection
Assign a staff member the task of inspecting your fire extinguishers monthly. This task requires only a few simple steps:
- Keep wall-mounted extinguishers unobstructed.
- Making sure each canister appears undamaged.
- Read the pressure gauge.
- Ensure the operating instructions are legible and facing outward.
- Initial and date the tag to show a monthly inspection has been performed.
These basic steps are enough to get you by for about a year. Once 12 months have passed, it’s time to schedule a professional fire extinguisher inspection. Here are the steps a Kauffman Co. technician takes when inspecting your extinguishers:
- We verify proper placement. In general, fire extinguishers are required within 75 feet of travel from any location in the building. Commercial kitchens should have a Class K fire extinguisher within 30 feet of the cooking equipment.
- We ensure your fire extinguishers aren’t obstructed by furniture or other objects for easy access in an emergency situation.
- We inspect the fire extinguishers for damage. Broken hoses or nozzles, wobbly or damaged handles, missing locking pins, broken anti-tamper seals, and illegible labeling all catch our attention. In addition to correcting these problems, we also ensure the canister is properly pressurized to ensure functionality if a fire breaks out.
- We record the date of the inspection on the tag to help you keep track of when it’s time to schedule your next annual fire extinguisher inspection.
CLICK HERE TO
GET A QUOTE TODAY
CALL US AT
Schedule Portable Fire Extinguisher Inspections in Houston
Is your business located in Houston or the Greater Gulf Coast area? Are you unsure whether your fire extinguishers are up to code – or if they even work at all? If so, contact Kauffman Co. online or call us at 713-893-1090 today to schedule a fire extinguisher inspection. We can help you get back on a consistent inspection schedule so you’re always protected in the event of a fire emergency.
We provide estimates for new and replacement fire protection systems throughout Texas (TX) in:
- Deer Park
- Galena Park
- Jacinto City
- La Marque
- La Porte
- Lake Charles, LA
- Lake Jackson
- League City
- Missouri City
- Port Arthur
- San Antonio
- South Houston
- Sugar Land
- Texas City
- The Woodlands
For more information, contact us online or call us now at (713) 893-1090.
July 11, 2018
Fire Safety Tips for the Hurricane Season
Fire Protection in Houston & Galveston, TX As Texans learned during Hurricane Harvey in 2017, Houston is vulnerable to severe…
May 20, 2018
How to Preplan Your Warehouse for Fire Safety
Fire Protection Services in Houston & Galveston, TX As warehouses continue to increase in height, incorporate more complicated rack storage…