Posted on February 22, 2018
/ Our Blog
/ How to Estimate the Cost of a Fire Sprinkler System in Houston
How to Estimate the Cost of a Fire Sprinkler System in Houston
If you’re looking for ways to improve fire safety in your property or business, you are wise to consider installing fire sprinklers. A functional sprinkler system provides 24-hour coverage against fire, drastically reducing property damage and loss of life if a fire occurs.
Perhaps you recognize the merits of fire sprinklers, but you’re concerned about what the installation cost might be. Rest assured that it’s not as much as you think! A fire sprinkler cost assessment conducted by the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) in 2013 estimated the average fire sprinkler system cost to be $1.35 per sprinklered square foot or about $6,000 for new construction and 4,500-square-foot home.
Even with this fire sprinkler system estimate in mind, it’s important to consider what factors affect the average cost of fire sprinklers.
- New construction: The most practical time to install sprinklers is during the initial construction phase of a building. The estimate in this situation is likely to run $1 to $2 per sprinklered square foot, including equipment and installation.
- Retrofits: You can install sprinklers in an existing property or business for an estimated cost of $2 to $7 per sprinklered square foot. A retrofitted high-rise typically costs $2 to $4 per sprinklered square foot.
- Historic building: Due to the strict design standards required to maintain a historic building’s aesthetics, installing a sprinkler system here could cost up to $10 per sprinklered square foot.
- Plastic: This is the most affordable type of piping used in sprinkler systems. Install plastic pipes whenever possible to keep installation costs down.
- Metal: Garages, attics, and unfinished basements may require more expensive metal piping. Copper, in particular, will drive up the estimate to install a fire sprinkler system.
- Water storage tank and booster pump: Most sprinklered properties and businesses have access to the municipal water supply. However, if you use a well or another water source, your system will probably require a tank and booster pump. This drives up the fire sprinkler installation cost by an average of 22%.
- Backflow preventer: The purpose of this device is to prevent contaminating the municipal water supply with pressurized fire sprinkler water. It isn’t required in many jurisdictions, but your system might need one if your sprinklers run on an antifreeze solution. For a typical residential fire sprinkler installation, a backflow preventer may add $75 to $350 to the project. Expect a higher cost for larger commercial systems.
- Standalone: This type of sprinkler system is designed with pipes dedicated to supplying the sprinkler heads with water. Standalone systems are the most common.
- Multipurpose: This is when a system uses one set of piping for domestic water and the sprinkler water supply. Because less piping is required, this type of system usually costs less to install.
Schedule a Fire Sprinkler System Estimate in Houston
While it’s nice to have an idea of what a fire sprinkler system could cost, the only way to receive an accurate estimate is to hire a team of fire protection specialists. At Kauffman Co., our project estimators can assess your building requirements and floor plan to provide you with a cost-effective solution to meet your fire protection needs.
To schedule your fire sprinkler estimate in Houston, please contact Kauffman Co. at (713) 893-1090 today.
We provide estimates for new and replacement fire protection systems throughout Texas (TX) in:
- Deer Park
- Galena Park
- Jacinto City
- La Marque
- La Porte
- Lake Charles, LA
- Lake Jackson
- League City
- Missouri City
- Port Arthur
- San Antonio
- South Houston
- Sugar Land
- Texas City
- The Woodlands
For more information, contact us online or call us now at (713) 893-1090.
September 28, 2021
October Is Fire Protection & Safety Month
October is Fire Protection & Safety Month, and Kauffman Co. is excited to share our wealth of fire safety knowledge…
August 24, 2021
Fire Alarm Requirements in Houston During Building Construction
Maintaining fire alarm safety systems during building construction in Houston is critical to keeping workers and building occupants safe. There…