Candles may be pretty and give off appealing scents, but if you’re not careful, they could start a fire in your home. An average of 9,300 home structure fires are started by open-flame candles across the US every year, according to reports from the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA). These blazes account for 3 percent of all residential fires, and they result in about 86 fatalities, 827 injuries, and $374 million in property damage annually.
Learn more about the risks of open flames and how to prevent a candle fire from starting in your home or business.
Consider using battery-operated flameless candles. Flickering bulbs and lovely scents make them look and smell like real candles without the risks of an open flame. If you choose to burn candles, follow these tips to keep your property and family safe:
To keep your family safe in case there’s a fire, install smoke alarms on every floor of your home, especially right outside sleeping areas. Interconnected alarms are best so that when one alarm goes off, they all go off. Remember to test your smoke alarms monthly and replace the batteries once a year.
Also, create a fire escape plan with your family and hold occasional fire drills to practice different scenarios. You hope you never have to put an evacuation plan to the test, but you’ll enjoy the peace of mind that comes from being prepared.
Whether you want to make your home safer, or you own a business with strict fire code requirements, trust Kauffman Co. for all your fire protection needs. We install and service fire extinguishers, automatic sprinklers, fire suppression systems, and much more.
Contact us online or call 713-893-1090 to schedule services today! We have over 35 years of experience serving homes and businesses in the Houston, TX area.
Fire Protection Services in Houston & Galveston, TX As warehouses continue to increase in height, incorporate more complicated rack storage…
The number of skyscrapers being constructed today continues to increase as urban city planners look upward to make more room…