Posted on June 12, 2016
/ Our Blog
/ Benefits of Using 3D Laser Scanning Services
Benefits of Using 3D Laser Scanning Services
Are you looking to expand or renovate your existing commercial building? Perhaps you wish to better serve your customers or increase your list of provided products and services. Whatever the reason, your expansion must satisfy seemingly countless building codes to ensure a safe, functional building. Fire safety is just one concern on a long list of requirements.
The old-fashioned method of referencing blueprints and building plans isn’t good enough today. 3D laser scanning from Kauffman Co. is the technology you need to bring the vision of your newly expanded building to life.
How 3D Laser Scanning Works
Laser scanning is such a simple process that often one man can handle the task alone! A laser scanner is set up on a tripod and left to scan a 360-degree view of its surroundings. Several repositionings later, the scanner has seamlessly stitched together a complete image of your building. Depending on the size and scope of the project, 3D laser scanning may take only a few hours or up to a few days.
Once the process is complete, a 3D modeling program allows you to explore your building in a detailed, virtual world. The digital image can be manipulated and changed, all while keeping an original version untouched for comparison purposes. By adding fire protection components to the 3D model – from fire sprinklers to alarms to suppression systems – technicians know precisely where to install them in real life when the time comes.
Benefits of 3D Laser Scanning
Consider the traditional method of planning for a building renovation or expansion. A team would walk through and take manual measurements of your building. These, combined with construction drawings, would provide the basis for redesigning and installing your new fire protection system and other behind-the-scenes building components. This time-consuming, prone-to-error method is far inferior to 3D laser scanning. Just consider the benefits:
- Accuracy: Laser scanning isn’t subject to human error. In fact, accuracy has been perfected to plus or minus 3mm over a 50m distance. This allows the design team to make confident decisions without second guessing their measurements.
- Safety: Traditional field data entry often presents a stumbling block – many places aren’t easy to measure. Unavoidable errors can result in safety problems, an issue that doesn’t exist with 3D laser scanning.
- Speed: By reducing time spent on field work and eliminating error correction, your business experiences little interruption during the 3D laser scanning process. Project start-up time is also sped up so the team can start making physical changes to your building faster than you thought possible.
- Visualization: With access to precise, complete information, every team member is on the same page at all times. You, the business owner, can also take a look at projected changes in a concise, easy-to-understand 3D representation before implementation begins.
- Quality control: This technology provides quality assurance by displaying variations between the initial design and construction phase. Clash detection helps prevent mistakes in the final design.
- Affordability: By saving time and avoiding mistakes with 3D laser scanning, you eliminate any unexpected additional costs to your project.
- Accessibility: If you need access to the dimensions, data, modeling or other information gathered during 3D laser scanning at a later date, you can extract this data without the need to re-scan your building.
Regardless of why you need to know your building’s precise dimensions, 3D laser scanning is the best method available. Have your building measured on a tight deadline and stay within budget by using 3D laser scanning. To learn more, or to schedule services in the Houston area, please contact Kauffman Co. today.
We provide estimates for new and replacement fire protection systems throughout Texas (TX) in:
- Deer Park
- Galena Park
- Jacinto City
- La Marque
- La Porte
- Lake Charles, LA
- Lake Jackson
- League City
- Missouri City
- Port Arthur
- San Antonio
- South Houston
- Sugar Land
- Texas City
- The Woodlands
For more information, contact us online or call us now at (713) 893-1090.
February 28, 2018
Will Vapes, Cigarettes, Etc. Trigger a Fire Alarm or Sprinklers?
If you smoke, you may be wondering whether it’s safe to light up near a smoke detector or under a…
February 22, 2018
How to Estimate Fire Sprinkler System Cost
If you’re looking for ways to improve fire safety in your home or business, you are wise to consider installing…