Posted on June 9, 2015
/ Fire Sprinkler FAQs
/ Why do I need a fire sprinkler system in my building?
Why do I need a fire sprinkler system in my building?
According to the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA), buildings with a working fire sprinkler system see an average property loss and risk of death per fire that is 50 to 66 percentlower than buildings without sprinkler systems. Broken down by industry, civilian deaths in sprinklered buildings between 1989 and 1998 were reduced by:
- 60 percent for manufacturing properties
- 74 percent for stores and offices
- 75 percent for nursing homes
- 91 percent for hotels and motels
- Test your fire sprinkler system monthly by opening the test valve and listening for an alarm bell.
- Know the location of the fire sprinkler system shutoff valve.
- Make sure the fire sprinkler system control valve stays open.
- Have your system reevaluated for needed upgrades when:
- Leave the building and contact the fire department as soon as possible after the fire sprinklers go off, even if it looks like the fire has already been put out.
- Paint the sprinklers.
- Damage sprinklers (report any damage immediately).
- Hang objects from any part of the system.
- Obstruct or cover the sprinklers.
We provide estimates for new and replacement fire protection systems throughout Texas (TX) in:
- Deer Park
- Galena Park
- Jacinto City
- La Marque
- La Porte
- Lake Charles, LA
- Lake Jackson
- League City
- Missouri City
- Port Arthur
- San Antonio
- South Houston
- Sugar Land
- Texas City
- The Woodlands
For more information, contact us online or call us now at (713) 893-1090.
September 28, 2021
October Is Fire Protection & Safety Month
October is Fire Protection & Safety Month, and Kauffman Co. is excited to share our wealth of fire safety knowledge…
August 24, 2021
Fire Alarm Requirements in Houston During Building Construction
Maintaining fire alarm safety systems during building construction in Houston is critical to keeping workers and building occupants safe. There…