Posted on March 30, 2011
/ Our Blog
/ How to Perform a Monthly Fire Extinguisher Inspection
How to Perform a Monthly Fire Extinguisher Inspection
If you own a fire extinguisher (or more than one!) in your Houston, Texas building, it is extremely important that you have it inspected monthly – you never know when a fire is going to break out, and if you haven’t looked at your fire extinguisher all year you simply having no way of knowing whether or not it will be able to protect you. But let’s be honest – calling a fire protection services company month after month to schedule a Houston fire extinguisher inspection can be a huge hassle, especially if they’re only going to be there for a couple minutes. Fortunately, monthly fire inspections are easy – you can do them on your own, and they should only take a couple of minutes!
Monthly Fire Extinguisher Self Inspection
Before you begin your monthly fire extinguisher inspection, know that they should not replace professional annual fire extinguisher inspections – instead, they should act as a supplement, just to make sure your extinguisher is ok. Monthly fire extinguisher inspections consist of just a few simple steps:
- The first thing you should do during your fire extinguisher inspection is make sure your fire extinguishers are located where they need to be, are easy to see and access and will not be blocked if something gets knocked over during a fire. Also, you should make sure everyone in your building knows exactly where the fire extinguishers are (and how to operate them) so they will be able to get to them quickly and easily in an emergency.
- Check to see that the pin in the fire extinguisher head is intact and the tamper seal is not broken. Also, make sure there is no obvious physical damage, corrosion or leakage, and make sure the fire extinguisher nozzle is not clogged.
- Make sure the pressure gauge is in the green zone and don’t forget to lift the fire extinguisher to make sure it’s full. This is an extremely important step of your fire extinguisher inspection, because a fire extinguisher that looks fine on the outside but is not properly pressurized will be harder to spot on a day to day basis and could cause serious problems in the event of a fire. Normally, the weight of your fire extinguisher will not change unless it has been recently discharged (in which case you should have it recharged right away) or if it is leaking.
- Make sure the operating instructions on the nameplate are legible and facing outward. This is probably the easiest step of the fire extinguisher inspection – if the extinguisher hasn’t been moved, it should be ok.
- Check the tag on the fire extinguisher. All fire extinguishers must be professionally inspected and tagged once a year by a licensed fire protection services company. If it has been more than one year since the date of your last professional fire extinguisher inspection, call a fire protection services company.
- Finally, initial and date the back of the tag to certify that you have performed your monthly fire extinguisher inspection.
Again, monthly fire extinguisher self inspections should be used to supplement annual fire extinguisher inspections – not replace them. If it has been more than one year since the date on your fire extinguisher tag and you are looking for fire extinguisher inspection in Houston, call Kauffman Co. today!
We provide estimates for new and replacement fire protection systems throughout Texas (TX) in:
- Deer Park
- Galena Park
- Jacinto City
- La Marque
- La Porte
- Lake Charles, LA
- Lake Jackson
- League City
- Missouri City
- Port Arthur
- San Antonio
- South Houston
- Sugar Land
- Texas City
- The Woodlands
For more information, contact us online or call us now at (713) 893-1090.
December 15, 2017
Do I Need to Clean My Fire Sprinkler System?
The last time you ever thought about your fire sprinkler system was likely during a general company safety briefing or…
December 13, 2017
Can I Paint Around My Fire Sprinkler System?
One of the biggest mistakes homeowners and commercial businesses make when they choose to repaint their properties is accidentally covering…