Posted on December 29, 2014
/ Our Blog
/ Is Fire Sprinkler Monitoring Worth It?
Is Fire Sprinkler Monitoring Worth It?
As a business or restaurant owner, you should understand the importance of having a fire sprinkler system installed. Such a system is far more effective at tackling unexpected fire emergencies, keeping your staff and employees safe, and minimizing fire damage than relying solely on fire extinguishers.
Once the system is installed, you also recognize the importance of having the sprinkler system regularly inspected, tested and maintained. The National Fire Protection Association recommends having a professional service your system once a quarter to ensure it will operate correctly when you need it most.But what about fire sprinkler system monitoring? Is it worth it? The short answer is yes, but read on for more specific reasons why.
What Is Fire Sprinkler System Monitoring?
In short, fire sprinkler system monitoring alerts the local fire department and your dedicated fire protection company (like Kauffman Co.) when your building’s sprinkler heads go off. Here’s how it works:
- A transmitter in your fire sprinklers detects when they turn on, indicating a fire on your property.
- The transmitter sends a signal to your offsite fire sprinkler monitoring company, such as Kauffman Co.
- Within seconds, the monitoring company alerts the fire department, which dispatches a crew to your location immediately to help put out the fire.
In addition to this property-saving aspect of fire sprinkler system monitoring, the control panel on your property also alerts your monitoring company of any technical glitches or system malfunctions that could prevent the sprinkler heads from working properly in a fire. Examples of such malfunctions include:
- Water leaks
- Faulty equipment activation
- Failed water supply
- Low temperature damage if the building experiences heating system failure
The fire department is not dispatched in these instances, but knowledgeable technicians are sent to your establishment to repair the system quickly. This way, you’re not left unprotected if a fire occurs.
Benefits of Fire Sprinkler System Monitoring
Why is this service so important?
- Focus on saving lives:If a fire breaks out while you’re in the building and the sprinklers turn on, you can rest assured the fire department is on the way. This leaves you free to get everyone out of the building quickly and safely without wasting time on the phone.
- 24/7 peace of mind:Monitoring ensures your property is protected even when no one is there. After all, fires can occur just as easily in the middle of the night as they can during business hours. Enjoy peace of mind no matter where you are with sprinkler system monitoring.
- Makes up where sprinkler systems lack:In many cases, the sprinklers are enough to extinguish a small fire, but depending on the fuel source and speed at which the fire spreads, the sprinklers may not be able to fully contain the blaze. After all, some fires double in size and intensity in as little as 30 seconds. With fire sprinkler monitoring, the sprinklers control the blaze as effectively as possible until the emergency crew arrives.
- Necessary for code compliance:Not only is fire sprinkler system monitoring important for keeping your building secure; it’s also required to comply with local and national fire codes, including NFPA 72.
What you need is a licensed and certified fire sprinkler monitoring company to perform these services for you. That’s why you should choose Kauffman Co. if you’re located in the Houston, TX area. For over 40 years, we have provided reliable fire sprinkler monitoring services to companies all across the Greater Gulf Coast area.
Contact us today to learn more about sprinkler monitoring and our other fire protection services.
We provide estimates for new and replacement fire protection systems throughout Texas (TX) in:
- Deer Park
- Galena Park
- Jacinto City
- La Marque
- La Porte
- Lake Charles, LA
- Lake Jackson
- League City
- Missouri City
- Port Arthur
- San Antonio
- South Houston
- Sugar Land
- Texas City
- The Woodlands
For more information, contact us online or call us now at (713) 893-1090.
October 25, 2019
Fall Fire Safety
Fall can be a great time of year in the Houston area. Most of the heat of summer is gone,…
September 23, 2019
7 Things to Do After a Fire
A fire at a commercial property can create devastating losses for the business owners, as well as uncertainty for employees…