Posted on November 13, 2015
/ Our Blog
/ Fire Suppression Codes in Houston
Fire Suppression Codes in Houston
If you own a business in Houston, your building may require fire suppression equipment. If so, the City of Houston Fire Code requires you to inspect, maintain and test your fire suppression equipment according to a certain schedule.
You don’t have time to become a fire codes expert, but you should brush up on the codes most pertinent to you. Then, if you discover you fall short in one area or another, count on Kauffman Co. to bring your company back up to code.
Inspecting Fire Suppression Systems
An inspection is a “quick check” that the fire suppression system is installed and operational. It’s when an inspector looks for signs of tampering or physical damage that could prevent function. Here are some of the most important fire suppression inspection codes:
- Automatic sprinkler systems must be visually inspected monthly and quarterly in accordance with NFPA 25.
- Fire department connections must be inspected quarterly.
- Fire doors and dampers must be inspected annually.
- Portable fire extinguishers must be inspected and service tagged annually.
- Vent hood suppression systems in commercial kitchens must be inspected every six months and again after the system activates in a fire.
Maintaining Fire Suppression Systems
Maintenance is a thorough examination to determine if any repairs or replacements are necessary. The maintenance schedule for fire suppression systems includes the following:
- Fire dampers must be maintained every four years.
- All types of portable fire extinguishers must be maintained annually.
Testing Fire Suppression Systems
On-site testing proves without a doubt that the fire suppression system is functional. Rules regarding testing include the following:
- Smoke control systems must be tested every five years.
- Automatic fans and dampers must be tested annually.
- Automatic sprinkler systems must be tested annually. Partial “drip tests” of dry-pipe valves must be performed annually. Full “drip tests” must occur every three years.
- Fire department connections must be tested every five years.
- Fire doors and dampers must be tested annually.
- Fixed wet and dry chemical extinguishing systems must be tested every six months.
- Water mist and carbon dioxide extinguishing systems must be tested annually.
- Halon 1301 and Clean Agent extinguishing systems must be tested every six months.
All records of inspection, maintenance and testing must remain on file for at least three years.
Kauffman Co. is licensed to perform inspections, maintenance and testing on fire suppressions systems. Contact us if you need help complying with these Houston fire suppression codes.
We provide estimates for new and replacement fire protection systems throughout Texas (TX) in:
- Deer Park
- Galena Park
- Jacinto City
- La Marque
- La Porte
- Lake Charles, LA
- Lake Jackson
- League City
- Missouri City
- Port Arthur
- San Antonio
- South Houston
- Sugar Land
- Texas City
- The Woodlands
For more information, contact us online or call us now at (713) 893-1090.
October 25, 2019
Fall Fire Safety
Fall can be a great time of year in the Houston area. Most of the heat of summer is gone,…
September 23, 2019
7 Things to Do After a Fire
A fire at a commercial property can create devastating losses for the business owners, as well as uncertainty for employees…