Posted on June 2, 2016
/ Our Blog
/ Benefits of Using VDC Technology
Benefits of Using VDC Technology
If you’re working on building a complex commercial building, you should start the project knowing that coordination of mechanical, electrical and plumbing (MEP) systems can sometimes comprise 50 percent of the project’s entire value. This coordination effort is tremendously challenging using traditional methods, which include drawing installations out by hand. Fortunately, Virtual Design and Construction (VDC) tools and processes address these challenges.
What Is VDC Techology?
VDC technology is a computer program that provides a seamless way to coordinate MEP systems, as well as fire protection equipment, in commercial projects. It uses 3D models to allow engineers to efficiently plan, design and construct buildings with fewer mistakes in a shorter amount of time.
Benefits of Virtual Design and Construction
Everyone involved in the construction project – from the building owner to the general contractor and subcontractors to architects and engineers – benefit from VDC. Here’s how:
- Fewer mistakes: In standard large-scale projects that don’t use VDC, field conflicts and the need to deal with requests for information (RFI) or change orders tends to land in the 200 to 300 range. With VDC, 2D and 3D images are tied together, allowing the team to spot errors immediately before they translate to the physical building. This ability to catch conflicts without delay means non-value-adding RFI activities are all but eliminated from the project timeline.
- Lower costs: RFI and change orders tend to add 1 to 2 percent of the cost of MEP systems, increasing the total investment required for the building owner. However, by reducing errors, VDC provides substantial savings.
- Reduced time: Filing paperwork to address errors and then correcting those errors takes time. Avoiding mistakes in the first place with VDC limits project delays and helps keep everything on schedule.
- Coordinated efforts: If any changes to the project are made along the way, these are instantly conveyed from the office to workers in the field, who carry tablet computers instead of paper schematics. This reduces errors, prevents confusion, and eliminates the need to file frustrating and time-consuming change orders.
- Facility management: Normally, at the end of a project, the building owner receives 2D drawings for future reference. With VDC, the owner receives a much more accurate and useful 3D model. This simplifies facility management for the building owner for years to come.
VDC for Fire Protection System Planning
Most often, mechanical, electrical and plumbing systems are coordinated with Virtual Design and Construction. You can also use the technology to plan and install every aspect of your building’s fire protection system, including:
If you want to save time and money by drastically reducing mistakes on your large commercial construction project, turn to Kauffman Co. for VDC services. Virtual design and construction is just one of the many qualities that make us your go-to, full-service fire protection company in the Houston area. Call us today at 713-893-1090 to learn more about this service and how it can benefit your specific project.
We provide estimates for new and replacement fire protection systems throughout Texas (TX) in:
- Deer Park
- Galena Park
- Jacinto City
- La Marque
- La Porte
- Lake Charles, LA
- Lake Jackson
- League City
- Missouri City
- Port Arthur
- San Antonio
- South Houston
- Sugar Land
- Texas City
- The Woodlands
For more information, contact us online or call us now at (713) 893-1090.
February 28, 2018
Will Vapes, Cigarettes, Etc. Trigger a Fire Alarm or Sprinklers?
If you smoke, you may be wondering whether it’s safe to light up near a smoke detector or under a…
February 22, 2018
How to Estimate Fire Sprinkler System Cost
If you’re looking for ways to improve fire safety in your home or business, you are wise to consider installing…